Sunday, January 6, 2019

Frozen Sasquatch 50K: Free Miles


It’s hard to run consistently when I’m on service, and right now I’m just over halfway through a 2 month stretch of service. I signed up for the Frozen Sasquatch 50k as “free miles,” that is, 31-32 of them without the mental difficulty of sloughing out a long run alone. It also helped me do my best to get my runs in over the last month, though I didn’t train specifically for this race (max run was 16 miles, and I didn’t run at all for nearly 2 weeks when I should have been peaking for this race). Finally, a beautiful course with great support and good company is a good reminder that I like ultrarunning, helpful when winter and work encourage me to stay in bed when that 4 AM alarm goes off.

I got up at 3 AM to drive the 3.5 hours to Kanawha State Forest in West Virginia in time for the race start. It had rained the whole afternoon/evening/night leading up to the race and then stopped right before the race started, leaving muddy trails but no active precipitation (and even some sunshine!) for the race itself. It was a little cool to start (40 degrees) so I wore the amazing smartwool hat provided as race swag.



The course is 2 laps of a 15.8 mile loop, each with 3 significant (~600 foot) climbs up mountains. The first begins only ¼ mile into the race. Early hiking: free miles! We then ran along the ridgeline awhile (beautiful running = free miles). The descent that followed was on a wide gravel trail/road, making a quick pace very easy: free miles! There was some mud which occasionally made singletrack descent comparable to skiing and rarely caused ankle deep mud puddles on the gravel/dirt trail, but really it didn’t significantly slow the course. After the second climb, we were treated to some flowing singletrack switchbacks, but the course was still too crowded at this point to be able to really cruise down it. A mile of flat road followed: free FAST miles!

I stopped at the second aid station to pick up some pringles and was walking to eat them when I saw a man with a camera. Okay, I’ll run and smile to try to get a good picture. I was working hard to look happy and take a good picture when Sasquatch himself jumped out from behind a rock and roared. I think everyone for half a mile heard my scream, and my hands flew up before settling in to hug it out with Sasquatch. And now I had an adrenaline kick for the third climb!

After the third climb, we had some easier running for awhile before descending sharply on switchbacks to go through the start/finish (my split was around 3:11 when I did so). Even though many of the runners I had been around the whole first lap were doing the 50k, once the 25k runners stopped, the course went from being a little crowded to totally empty. I passed one runner on the first climb, and then went a whole 10 miles without seeing another runner. I was a little tired and had slowed a bit (about 1 minute/mile), but probably could have run a little quicker if I had the right motivation. Then with 5 miles to go, I saw a woman (I later learned her name was Emily, wife of Sasquatch) ahead of me. I actually said out loud, “Jackpot!” Perhaps “jackrabbit” would have been more accurate, because 1 minute later she looked back, saw me, and took off.

I caught her 1-2 miles later at the last aid station and tried to pick up my pace for what I knew was a fast/easy last section. But then 2 miles later, I found myself running toward Emily. She was right and I was wrong, of course, but I was stubbornly confident that I had been following markers the whole way. We stood there a few minutes, pulling out Emily’s map and finally deciding that I had done something wrong and a little extra (free miles!) before the next runner came up behind Emily as the confirmatory tiebreaker.

When I crossed the finish line, John Denver’s “Country Roads,” was playing. My time was 6:41 but I’m encouraged that my detour/standing around to look at the map falsely inflated my second lap split, so I didn’t slow down quite as much as the time would imply. Finishers all received smartwool socks (yes!) and BBQ lunch (perfect post-race food).

After driving back home, I was surprised that my legs were fine getting out of the car and walking in: success! My Salmings are done: the holes in the side are big enough now that rocks were slipping in the shoes that was during the race.

Overall, I was super pleased with the race course and organization and look forward to doing more West Virginia races!

-Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment